Sunday, December 14, 2008

In Memory of Michael....my Dad...


I just felt like I wanted to put a little something in here about my Dad. (He passed away in November of 2004) This time of year reminds me of him like no other. Which is a bit odd in some ways. He never noticibly celebrated Christmas except for doing one thing...making his traditional Christmas Bread. It is the only tradition I can recall that he created or celebrated. All of my siblings have fond and happy memories of his Christmas bread. We would gather together and "roll out the dough" and shape it into our very own masterpeice. This picture (and you can see the cheeky look on his face) was one that he made up one year.

Since then, Paul and I have made Christmas bread every year adding shapes and words. My dad also used dried candied fruit, which we kept using for awhile, but I have never liked them and always pick them out, so we are trying to get creative with other colorful yummies. We love it! I am certain this tradition will live on through our kids too. Thanks Dad for creating a memory full of LOVE.

2 comments:

  1. I love that picture Ruth! And I would like to hear what other items you put on the bread. You will be good blogger. It is beautiful.
    Lenora

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put dried cranberries, pistacios and raisens last year. It wasn't quite as colorful, but better tasting. :)

    ReplyDelete